Power Systems Engineer
Location : Racine, WI
Employment Type : Full-Time
OUR HERITAGE BENEFITS YOUR FUTURE! Here at TWIN DISC, we have a proud history of developing and pioneering transmission and propulsion solutions for equipment that fuels the world. Over the years, we’ve built a strong company that is centered on innovation and employee ingenuity making us an industry leader and respected throughout the markets we serve. As we continue our global expansion, we are looking for talented individuals to join our team. Due to continued growth, we are looking to add a Power Systems Engineer to our team. Position Summary: This position will be responsible for the design and analysis of High Voltage (HV) power electronics control systems for use in various marine and land-based propulsion systems. The position will also participate in specifying or designing HV inverters, converters, and related motor control hardware, as well as aid in identifying strategic HV supply partners to support various hybrid and fully electric applications integrated with traditional Twin Disc mechanical products.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Electrical Engineering with 10+ years of experience in design and, research and development; or
- Equivalent degree and experience in working with HV equipment such as inverter systems, switch mode power supplies, switchgear, etc…
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Competence in Microsoft Office Suite
- Skilled in Microsoft Project
- Skilled in the use of electronic design software (e.g. Altium Designer)
- Proficient in the use of editors, compilers, and simulation software (e.g. LabView®, Matlab®)
- Proficient in the use of revision control software
- Proficient in the use of PLM, PDM preferred
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills and listening skills that allow being able to work with people in all levels of the organization and external customers
- Strong writing skills with the ability to translate design and test knowledge into specifications and validation documents
- Ability to guide and train other departmental personnel as required
- A strong understanding of power electronics theory, motor control, and electric machines.
- Ability to analyze and specify control systems with respect to system configuration, software logic, and electronic hardware design.
- Working understanding of single-line or one-line diagrams
- Racine, Wisconsin
- Travel required for customer and Twin Disc entity visits both domestically and abroad
- Advanced knowledge in high voltage (~300V-1500V) component design, system design and integration, debugging and troubleshooting
- Advanced knowledge in the application of environmental standards, EMC standards, standard practices as related to power electronics
- Knowledge of embedded software development
- Working knowledge of energy storage systems applicable to mobile equipment
- Familiar with industry standards for marine survey societies and international compliance standards and requirements for electronic and high voltage safety (human & environmental)
- Self-starter with the ability to work as part of a team with minimal supervision
- Exhibit vision and foresight to test the extremes of a design and guide team members through well thought out, logical test regimes
- Ability to predict possible consequences of critical failure modes in various scenarios
- Ability to complete FMEAs to identify and prevent potential failure modes in designs
- Valid passport
Essential Job Functions
- Oversee and participate in the design of hardware control systems, including architecture design (e.g. via single-line diagrams), system component sizing and selection, schematic design and review. Perform related system design and efficiency calculations
- Lead design trade-off studies between various HV solutions including the area of thermal management
- Specify appropriate tools for HV analysis and simulation
- Write functional control system specifications defining the rules and interactions between electronic controls, user interfaces, and all connected peripherals (e.g. various Twin Disc products)
- Direct the design and analysis of components modification to existing products
- Serve as engineering authority for power electronic product application issues
- Perform and participate in concept reviews, design reviews, and design FMEAs
- Write validation test plans, requests, and related reports for environmental, EMC, and hardware testing
- Participate in the execution of validation testing
- Establish relevant engineering procedures and standards, including safety standards, regarding power electronics
- Introduce new, state of the art, technologies that are applicable for product production and operation
- Maintain knowledge in the area of engineering expertise
- Mentor other engineers
Other Job Functions
- Other duties as may be required
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential job functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision, interact professionally with other employees, customers (internal and external) and suppliers and work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and the organization.
TWIN DISC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.